I know Gene Simmons comments on “Rock is Dead” is pretty debatable and controversial but I got something else I would like to get off my chest about it. I know rock music is still here and in different forms but either way it is still a dying industry and struggling.
What are ways that the mainstream and commercial music can respect rock n’ roll again???
Here’s a short list:
- Start inducting actual “rock” bands in the Hall of Fame: I know I’ve spent years defending the Hall of Fame but I’ll have to admit it is pretty weird. The Hall of Fame seems to be inducting questionable artists like Pop and Rap artists just so they can fit the current mainstream. While it’s great that the Hall of Fame finally inducted Rush and Kiss, there are still other true rock bands that the Hall of Fame are ignoring… where is: Yes, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, SRV, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, etc.??? The list can go on. I understand people trashing the Hall of Fame, I mean if you’re going to do a “Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame”, you induct real rock n’ roll. Not pop artists.
- Fix the broken music industry: Like Gene Simmons said, the major labels aren’t the same anymore. The labels are manufacturing artists without any real talent. Don’t have a good singing voice? No problem… the studios will improve it with auto-tune. Nobody in this industry can really sing these days. The major labels needs to start signing bands who play their own instruments and write their own songs if they want respect again. These days it’s the major labels writing the songs, look it up.
- Trash crappy magazines like Rollingstone, SPIN, etc.: These are the magazines responsible for changing the industry. They’re the ones who help promotes rap and pop so they can sell subscriptions. We need more magazines that promotes rock music. There are magazines that promotes rock music like “Revolver” but I haven’t seen too many magazines that are about rock music.
- Get rid of MTV/VH1 and other music channels that promotes mainstream pop: No explanation necessary???
- Trash the MTV VMA’s and The Grammy’s: Award shows are obviously responsible for helping to kill the rock industry. We can all probably agree on that one.
- Fix the Billboard Charts: I think the Billboard Charts aren’t honest as everyone thinks it is. I’m almost positive that rock bands sells a lot of records than the pop artists on the charts. The Billboard Charts seem to be broken too. I used to enjoy looking at the Billboard Charts but not anymore.
- Promote rock music more: Rock music is still here yes but it’s the less promoted genre. When you see people listening to garbage like Kanye, Jay Z, Justin Bieber , Toby Keith or Kenny Chesney and all that crap, try to turn people onto rock music. The reason rock is almost a dead industry is ’cause kids these days would rather listen to those artists I listed above. That’s what I’m gonna do when I get kids of my own someday. If I ever get kids of my own someday, I’ll introduce them to Led Zeppelin, Ac/Dc, Hendrix, the Allman Brothers, The Clash and Sabbath when they get a little older. You should do the same to your kids. If you want rock n’ roll to get big again, then people need to listen to it. Teach people rock n’ roll and maybe people will get interested.
Seriously, I’ve listened to rock n’ roll all my life. It’s my preferred genre although I do listen to a little bit of everything else. Don’t get me wrong, though, I do like some pop and rap, just not all of it.
There are still tons of great rock bands out today that a lot of people are missing like Dream Theater, Black Label Society, Avenged Sevenfold is pretty good, Ghost B.C., Animals As Leaders and tons more to name. The list can go on forever.
Yes, Gene’s “Rock is Dead” comments are debatable but you can’t deny that rock n’ roll is struggling a little bit.