So I’ve finished both seasons of this docuseries on the Vice Channel called, “Dark Side of the Ring”. It’s a docuseries about professional wrestling but it just talks about the dark side of the business. Yeah, professional wrestling may look like a blast and seem like a positive experience for some but not always. There will always be a dark side of wrestling… so on the show you will see things like tragedies, wrestler deaths, scandals, controversies, setbacks and things like that. Anything that’s dark about wrestling is the idea of the show.
For the first two seasons they already covered a lot of topics like the Montreal Screwjob, the career of New Jack/The Mass Transit incident, the murder of Bruiser Brody, the life and death of the Fabulous Moolah, the murder of Dino Bravo, Jimmy Snuka murdering his girlfriend, the life and death of Owen Hart, the Benoit murder/suicide tragedy, The career of the Road Warriors tag team, the career and tragedies of the Von Erichs, the deaths of Macho Man and Elizabeth, etc. They covered all that.
The show has been greenlighted for a season 3 which is no surprise ’cause the show is doing really well in the ratings and it has sparked a buzz in the wrestling industry. I hope the show lasts for a pretty long time. I hope it lasts for a good 4 to 7 seasons anyways ’cause there are so many topics and stories they need to get to still.
Dark wrestling stories that they haven’t talked about yet that they need to get to are listed here:
- The Hulk Hogan gawker/sex tape trial
- The Rise and Fall of WCW
- The Rise and Fall of ECW
- The Life and Death of Eddie Guerrero
- The Life and Death of Chyna
- The Death of Reid Flair
- Vince’s steroid trial
- The Nick Hogan car crash
- The career and life of Tammy Lynn Sytch (she’s still alive but she had a tough life after wrestling)
- The Scott Hall story
- The Jake Roberts story
- The career of Mick Foley
- The career of Terry Funk
- The WWE plane ride from hell
- The Life and Death of Brian Pillman
- The story of Perry Saturn
- The life and death of Sherry Martel
- The life and death of Big Van Vader
- The life and death of Bam Bam Bigelow
- The life and death of the Big Boss Man
- The career ending of Darren Drozdov
- The life and death of the Ultimate Warrior
I can go on and on with the list. So much more stuff for them to cover. I rarely ever watch cable TV but this show is great. It is recommended watching whether you’re a wrestling fan or not.