Tom Hanks is another actor who I wish a happy birthday every year. Why? Because he’s my favorite and I respected his talent for years. I grew up watching his movies. Been watching his stuff ever since I was kid. While he is very talented, and amazing actor… his career has been going downhill a little, in my opinion. Throughout his entire career he has been choosing the best films but currently he has been choosing some pretty bad films. I never liked “The Da Vinci Code”, “Angels & Demons”, “Larry Crowne”, “The Ladykillers”, “Charlie Wilson’s War”, and I have no desire to see, “Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close”. I haven’t seen “Cloud Atlas” yet but I’m planning on renting it from Netflix soon. Tom Hanks started off doing comedy films in his earlier years (he actually got his acting start in the “Bosom Buddies” sitcom) and then when the 90’s came — he started doing serious dramas like, “Philadelphia”, “Forrest Gump”, “Saving Private Ryan”, etc. He’s also a two time Oscar winner.
Here is a list of my favorite Tom Hanks films in no particular order:
- Forrest Gump – Probably the best film he’s ever done. I can watch this one over and over and never get tired of it. Classic and a masterpiece!
- The Green Mile – Who knew that he would star in a Stephen King adaptation? Another masterpiece of a film and the film where Michael Clarke Duncan first got recognized as an actor (RIP to him, btw).
- Road To Perdition – It’s a mobster movie and Tom has never been into violent & gritty movies that much so it was kind of a surprise that he would do a film like this. This is one of my favorite films, though. I remember seeing this one in theater when it first came out too.
- Toy Story 3 – Probably his best voice over work and it’s the best Toy Story film of the trilogy.
- The Terminal – His collaboration with Steven Spielberg! An entertaining as hell movie and also one of his best roles.
- Apollo 13 – An excellent space movie with an excellent cast! Another film you can watch repeatedly and never get tired of. Gotta love Kevin Bacon and Bill Paxton in this film too!
- Sleepless In Seattle – I’m not into romantic comedies that much but this is a very good one. Way better than the overrated, “You’ve Got Mail”.
- Joe Versus The Volcano – Probably one of his best comedies in his earlier career. It’s a freakin’ great film! Love it!
- BIG – Another comedy classic. You’re not a true Tom Hanks fan if you haven’t even seen this one! Everyone should have seen this film!
- Splash – A Ron Howard classic about a man who falls in love with a mermaid. Also starring the late great John Candy (RIP) and a young Eugene Levy.
Well, there are my favorite films!
Lets hope Tom will get back to picking great movie roles again ’cause I believe the man has totally lost it. What happened to him?
Edit to add: Dammit, how can I leave out, “Cast Away”??? That is my favorite film too. Oh well.