So yesterday afternoon, I went to the mall to get my Christmas shopping done. When I finished my Christmas shopping, I decided to hit the movies to kill some time and I ended up seeing the Mr. Rogers movie starring Tom Hanks titled, “It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood”. I’ve been wanting to see this movie for a while ’cause I used to be a Mr. Rogers fan when I was little. I used to watch that show all the time when I was a kid and it used to be my favorite show.
So now here we have a Mr. Rogers biopic/biography film of the famous children’s TV show host with Tom Hanks playing the role of Fred Rogers. At first I was a little skeptical of Hanks playing the role of Fred Rogers and I wasn’t sure if he’ll be able to pull it off or not but now that I’ve seen the film for myself, I was blown away. Tom nailed the Fred Rogers role perfectly. Tom nailed his looks and Tom nailed his speaking voice too… it is pretty much dead on with the real life Fred Rogers. Tom knocks it out of the park like usual. Tom can play anything that throws at him, is there anything that man can’t do? I think there is another Oscar coming for Tom. Tom is a two time Oscar winner believe it or not even though it seems like he won a lot… he won an award for the film “Philadelphia” and won another one for “Forrest Gump”. Does Tom have a third one on the way? I hope Tom gets a nomination for the “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” film at least and hopes the Academy doesn’t snub him for the next Oscars show. This is one of Tom’s best roles.
As for the film itself goes, I was impressed of how it was directed. They got the feel of Mr. Rogers perfectly. I almost felt like watching the TV show except this was on the big screen. They nailed the Mr. Rogers TV set perfectly… they got the music perfect and the whole movie was directed by a female director and she did a really really good job. I thought the other cast in the film did a great job too even if the movie is full of unknown actors, Hanks was the only big name pretty much.
After years and years of violent action movies and dark films, we finally get a movie that is very positive and heartfelt. It’s that type of movie that will make you smile all the way through and it certainly did that to me.
The film tells the real life story of Fred Rogers befriending a journalist who worked for Esquire magazine, it’s about that famous interview that Fred Rogers did with them. The film was about the friendship of Fred and journalist Tom Junod (which the film changed his name to Loyd Vogel).
I thought it was an amazingly well made and perfect film. It was beautiful. Loved it. Definitely getting the BluRay when it comes out and this film is definitely bound to get some Oscar nominations for sure and I hope Tom doesn’t get snubbed. If you were a fan of Mr. Rogers or if you never watched the show before, it is recommended seeing. The film is an introduction of Mr. Rogers too so you don’t really need to watch the original TV show. Glad I went and saw it.
Next movie to see in theater is “Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker” in a few weeks.
Actor Tom Hanks appears to be a huge fan of the World Cup just like a lot of you. That photo above is him watching yesterday’s USA vs. Belgium game with his family. Yes, Tom’s wife Rita and his son Colin (who is also an actor) are pictured.
I did watch some of that game myself although it sucks the USA lost to Belgium. I watched most until I got bored and gave up watching it.
Look like Spielberg finally found his next directorial project since his 2012 film, “Lincoln”. Spielberg will re-team with Tom Hanks for the fourth time. This will be a thriller set during the Cold War and will be based on the true story of James Donovan. The other three films Spielberg/Hanks worked together for was obviously: “Saving Private Ryan”, “Catch Me If You Can” and “The Terminal”.
Look like Spielberg is staying away from films for children and family. Except that his upcoming planned sci-fi film, “Robopocalypse” maybe aimed at children?
When Captain Phillips was held captive by pirates, it all seemed like an action movie happening in real life. Sure enough, Hollywood had to make a movie about it and here it is. The first teaser trailer of the film starring Tom Hanks as Captain Phillips. The film is directed by Paul Greengrass. Tom Hanks haven’t been in a great movie in the last 10 years or so and I hope he’ll redeem himself with this one. Tom Hanks in another adventure movie kind of like, “Cast Away”.
Tom Hanks is another actor who I wish a happy birthday every year. Why? Because he’s my favorite and I respected his talent for years. I grew up watching his movies. Been watching his stuff ever since I was kid. While he is very talented, and amazing actor… his career has been going downhill a little, in my opinion. Throughout his entire career he has been choosing the best films but currently he has been choosing some pretty bad films. I never liked “The Da Vinci Code”, “Angels & Demons”, “Larry Crowne”, “The Ladykillers”, “Charlie Wilson’s War”, and I have no desire to see, “Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close”. I haven’t seen “Cloud Atlas” yet but I’m planning on renting it from Netflix soon. Tom Hanks started off doing comedy films in his earlier years (he actually got his acting start in the “Bosom Buddies” sitcom) and then when the 90’s came — he started doing serious dramas like, “Philadelphia”, “Forrest Gump”, “Saving Private Ryan”, etc. He’s also a two time Oscar winner.
Here is a list of my favorite Tom Hanks films in no particular order:
- Forrest Gump – Probably the best film he’s ever done. I can watch this one over and over and never get tired of it. Classic and a masterpiece!
- The Green Mile – Who knew that he would star in a Stephen King adaptation? Another masterpiece of a film and the film where Michael Clarke Duncan first got recognized as an actor (RIP to him, btw).
- Road To Perdition – It’s a mobster movie and Tom has never been into violent & gritty movies that much so it was kind of a surprise that he would do a film like this. This is one of my favorite films, though. I remember seeing this one in theater when it first came out too.
- Toy Story 3 – Probably his best voice over work and it’s the best Toy Story film of the trilogy.
- The Terminal – His collaboration with Steven Spielberg! An entertaining as hell movie and also one of his best roles.
- Apollo 13 – An excellent space movie with an excellent cast! Another film you can watch repeatedly and never get tired of. Gotta love Kevin Bacon and Bill Paxton in this film too!
- Sleepless In Seattle – I’m not into romantic comedies that much but this is a very good one. Way better than the overrated, “You’ve Got Mail”.
- Joe Versus The Volcano – Probably one of his best comedies in his earlier career. It’s a freakin’ great film! Love it!
- BIG – Another comedy classic. You’re not a true Tom Hanks fan if you haven’t even seen this one! Everyone should have seen this film!
- Splash – A Ron Howard classic about a man who falls in love with a mermaid. Also starring the late great John Candy (RIP) and a young Eugene Levy.
Well, there are my favorite films!
Lets hope Tom will get back to picking great movie roles again ’cause I believe the man has totally lost it. What happened to him?
Edit to add: Dammit, how can I leave out, “Cast Away”??? That is my favorite film too. Oh well.
Here’s one of my favorite actors that I admire, Tom Hanks. I admired his acting talent with all the comedies he’s done in the 80’s and the serious drama movies he’s done in the 90’s like “Forrest Gump”, “Apollo 13” and “Saving Private Ryan”. Tom hasn’t made a good movie since “The Terminal” in 2004. “The Terminal” was a really good flick, a comedy that was directed by Spielberg.
I never really liked the two Dan Brown adaptations he did with Ron Howard, “The Da Vinci Code”, and “Angels & Demons” weren’t that great, admittedly. “Charlie Wilson’s War” was a shit movie and so was “The Ladykillers”.
I have no interest in seeing, “Larry Crowne” and “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close”.
Tom needs to step his game up and go back to his Oscar worthy acting talent. “The Road To Perdition” was one of my favorite flicks he’s ever done and I wish he would go back to dark movies like those.
I still admire Tom, I just wish he would get better at choosing his movies. His movie choices lately haven’t been that great. I haven’t seen a Tom Hanks movie in theater in a long time for this reason. I wish he would come out with an interesting movie that would make me go back to see Hanks movies in theaters again. I used to see his movies in theater all the time.
Tom Hanks is one of my favorite actors. I’ve followed his career for years. Would try to watch all of his films as much as I can, but to be honest, I’m not interested in seeing, “Larry Crowne”, his latest film that he directed himself and starred with Julia Roberts. It doesn’t look good. I’ll see it on DVD of course, just not in theater. I love most of Tom Hanks movies, but once in a while he can come out with a bad movie or two like “The Ladykillers” and “Charlie Wilson’s War”, those films were horrible.
Here are my choices of Best of Tom Hanks, I’ll name ten of his films in order:
- The Road to Perdition – This has always been my favorite Tom Hanks movie, “Saving Private Ryan” and “Forrest Gump” are both good flicks but they are kind of overrated. “Road to Perdition” is the best film he’s ever done, in my opinion. His best role that he should have won another Oscar for.
- Cast Away – Another favorite of mine. This film is never boring all the way through. I’ll never get tired of “Cast Away”.
- The Green Mile – Another one of his best roles and a bit underrated too. I love this film.
- Toy Story 3 – Like everyone else, I think the third Toy Story movie is the best one of the trilogy.
- Forrest Gump – This needs to be high on the list, or I would get in trouble if I put it as 9 or 10. Yes, Forrest Gump is a classic indeed.
- Apollo 13 – This is the best Ron Howard/Tom Hanks collaboration, in my opinion.
- Joe Versus The Volcano – This is my favorite of his comedy era, it’s a really great film.
- BIG – Another classic flick, of his comedy days, I love this film as well.
- The Burb’s – Another great comedy flick in the 80’s. Corey Feldman’s character is the best part of the film.
- The Terminal – An entertaining film, I’ll never get tired of. Even though this film had slight problems in the writing, other than that, a good film. I enjoy it.
Most of his flicks are good but those 10 are my favorite.
The controversial story of the, Maersk Alabama, cargo ship hijacked by Somali Pirates in April of 2009, have made huge in the news. Sony Pictures is finally moving forward with the big screen movie based on this story. Look like Tom Hanks have said “yes” to starring as Capt. Richard Phillips for the role.
What do you think? Do you like Tom as Capt. Phillips? Tom would have to gain a little more weight. He would also have to grow a beard and mustache to match Capt. Phillips look. The makeup and hairstylists can make Tom look like Capt. Phillips easily. Knowing how great of an actor Tom Hanks is, Hanks can easily make his speaking voice sound exactly like Capt. Phillips’s speaking voice. I’m pretty sure Tom will nail this role with no problem.
I actually like Tom as Capt. Phillips and it’s a good choice!
See the full story here at, Deadline.
Who are they going to get for Andrea Phillips, Richard’s wife? They probably will get a big name actress for her too, just don’t get Julia Roberts please, anybody but her.
After the huge success of the Toy Story franchise, Disney is moving ahead with a new film titled, “Jungle Cruise”, which will be based on the theme park ride at Disney’s Magic Kingdom. The script was written for Tom Hanks and Tim Allen to star. Roger S.H. Schulman will write the script, and the film will be produced by David Hoberman, and Todd Lieberman. The studio haven’t hired a director yet. This film will be live action, not animated. The plot haven’t been revealed yet, but I’m sure we will hear more of the project in the future.
Well I agree with Tom Hanks and Tim Allen finally staring in a film together, a live action film, that is. It deserves to happen. This project sounds great.
Tom haven’t done a family friendly live action film in a long time. The last live action family film he did was, “Cast Away” I believe? Back in the year 2000. Tom really doesn’t do live action films for kids that much anymore. He’s mostly done dramas and serious films. He’s done plenty of voice overs for animated films, but not much for live action. He did all the family films in the 80’s with films such as, “Splash”, “BIG”, ” and maybe a few others.
“Jungle Cruise” is a great opportunity for Tom. Tom needs to get back into the comedy spotlight again like where he was before in the 80’s.
Two of Hollywood’s biggest movie icons in the world, Tom Hanks and Johnny Depp, have never starred in a movie together, ever. I don’t think? If they already did one, correct me. I’m pretty sure they never collaborated. A Hanks and Depp team up may actually happen. Thanks to Kathryn Bigelow, who is moving forward with her movie about, Argentina, currently titled, “Triple Frontier”. Tom Hanks is already signed to the leading role. Depp is currently in negotiations with Kathryn, to star alongside with Tom. It is another mobster movie, set in Argentina. See the full article here at, Deadline.
Hopefully, Depp would say yes to this project ’cause I’ve always wanted a Depp and Hanks team up. This sounds like it’s going to be another violent action movie for Kathryn. Is Tom about to go violent again like he did to, “The Road to Perdition”? Sounds like it. “Triple Frontier” sounds interesting. Kathryn is a great film maker as I thought, “The Hurt Locker” was one amazing flick.