I love music biopic films. Ya know, movies about famous artists and bands that are played by different actors. There have been many over the years with movies like “La Bamba”, “The Buddy Holly Story”, “Walk the Line”, “Ray”, “Get On Up”, “Straight Outta Compton”, “The Doors”, “Sid and Nancy”, etc.
Now with the release of “Bohemian Rhapsody” and the upcoming “Rocketman” (biopic film of Elton John), I thought it would be fun to name some bands & artists that I think deserves their own biopic big screen films… enjoy the list:
- Metallica: You know this one will be coming sooner or later. I think a biopic film about Metallica spanning the entire career of the band would be fun. This film could tell so many interesting stories everything from the Cliff Burton era, the Cliff Burton death, the Napster controversy, the Dave Mustaine feud, getting close to breaking up around the “St. Anger” days and so on and so forth. This would make an interesting movie for sure.
- Michael Jackson: There have been a few TV movies about MJ I think but I think his story should get told on the big screen. You know this one will be coming at some point.
- KISS: I think it’ll be interesting if Kiss gets a biopic film made about the forming of the original lineup and the film could lead up to their breakup. I also believe a Kiss biopic could make its way to the big screen sometime in the future for sure.
- Billy Idol: I’m a huge Billy Idol fan and I think his story could be interesting. I’ve read a lot about his life and I think some of his stories would be good for a big screen movie.
- The Allman Brothers Band: I think a film about the Allman Brothers would be really good. It could go from their formation all the way up to their final show at the Beacon Theater in NYC. Just think how much of a tearjerker of a film this would be with the passings of Duane, Butch and Gregg. There was actually a Gregg Allman biopic film that Hollywood was gonna put out called, “Midnight Rider” but the film got cancelled due to that freak accident that killed a young woman. They could still try and get an Allman Brothers movie going, though.
- Joan Jett: There’s already a biopic movie about “The Runaways” and Joan Jett is in it played by a different actress but I think it’s time that Joan deserves her own biopic film. It be nice if we get a Joan Jett film chronicling her solo career. Believe it or not, I am a huge Joan Jett fan!
- David Bowie: You know a Bowie biopic is gonna happen at some point in the future. Would be very cool. I think Bowie himself would have been honored if a biopic film happened.
- The Clash: A film about the Clash would be awesome. The film could start at their formation and all the way to their breakup in 1986. It would make an interesting movie about the punk scene during those years.
- Nirvana or a Kurt Cobain biopic: You know this one will be coming in the future too. Either a story about Kurt or the band Nirvana would be cool on the big screen.
- Led Zeppelin: This would be freakin’ cool if this happened. A Led Zeppelin biopic film. It could start at its formation with the Yardbirds and then go up to the band’s breakup after John Bonham’s death, the movie could end right there. I think a Led Zep biopic movie would be a box office hit too.
There’s the list. Enjoy!
“Bohemian Rhapsody” turned out to be a great film. I’ve seen Queen’s – Live Aid performance many times before but the film made me want to watch it again.
There are only very few music biopic films that I like. My favorite music biopic movies are: “La Bamba”, “The Buddy Holly Story”, “Walk the Line”, “Ray” (the movie about Ray Charles starring Jamie Foxx), “Straight Outta Compton” and now you can add “Bohemian Rhapsody” to the list.
Whether you’re a die-hard Queen fan or not much of a fan, either way you need to go see it. The movie seemed pretty accurate with the history of Queen which is what impressed me the most. “Bohemian Rhapsody” was really great, I liked it a lot. Check it out.
Before some of you watch this film, I know some of you are going to be like, “Am I going to be watching a lot of gay stuff due to Freddie’s bi-sexual lifestyle?” Yes, you’re definitely going to see homosexual stuff in the film but not too bad. They don’t go too overboard with the gay stuff so there’s nothing worry about. This is not “Brokeback Mountain”. They wanted to keep “Bohemian Rhapsody” as family friendly as possible as a film for all ages. Freddie lived a pretty wild and crazy lifestyle. They didn’t put a lot of that stuff in the film but they did put some of his crazy life in the film, though.
I thought the film was well done. It was well-directed, well-acted and well-written too. You should definitely go check it out. I’ll definitely get the BluRay.
I’m not really a big fan of music biopic films. Ya know, music stars and bands getting their own big screen movies ’cause most of them are not accurate but some of the best music biopics I’ve seen over the years of my life were: “La Bamba” (the Ritchie Valens biopic with Lou Diamond Phillips), “The Buddy Holly Story” (w/ Gary Busey playing Buddy), “Walk the Line” (w/ Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash) and “Straight Outta Compton” (a film about the rap group the NWA, yeah I thought this film was really good). That’s pretty much it really.
I’m really excited for this one, though. The biopic film about the band Queen which is a band that I love. I don’t think I’ve bought Queen’s records but I have a greatest hits album by them on CD that I listened to a lot in the past. I should start getting their studio albums, though and I will ’cause I really love the band.
This trailer did give me goosebumps and I can’t wait. I’m definitely gonna go see this one in October for sure. They did a really good job with the trailer. Lets just hope the movie itself won’t suck ’cause sometimes movie trailers try to fool ya like that. Ya know, make the movie look good but when you actually go see it, the film turns out to be shit. I’m sure it won’t be shit, though. We’ll wait and see the film for ourselves.
This film was obviously made for die-hard Queen fans and this film could introduce new fans too ’cause I’m sure there’s plenty of people today that haven’t even heard the band Queen before. Why? It’s because the industry today is so hung up on pop music, rap and country that people forgot real music existed. Maybe this film will give people a wake up call that real music is out there?
According to Adam Lambert himself, he is the new lead singer for, Queen. I’m no fan of Lambert, but I must admit this is an interesting choice. He does resemble Freddie Mercury and even sings like him, so why not? I’ll give him a chance.
Read the full story, here.
William Shatner’s new spoken word album, “Seeking Major Tom” is out now and hear a few tracks including an official music video of his cover, “Bohemian Rhapsody”. I do plan to buy this album soon, ’cause I enjoy Shatner’s spoken word stuff. He’s very talented at that. “Seeking Major Tom” is a two disc album, full of rock n’ roll covers.
Enjoy a few tracks from his new album in the videos below. They rock. I love ’em!
Brian May says that Lady Gaga could be the new singer for Queen. He hints that she is in talks to join the band to replace, Freddie Mercury.
Read the full story, here.
This may sound weird, and I know a lot of people are not going to like it, but honestly, I think it’s a great idea. She WOULD be a great replacement for Freddie. She’s the real deal, seriously.
Lady Gaga’s image and vocal style has been compared to Freddie for years. As you all know, Gaga and May opened the MTV VMA’s this year. See the pic above? I think they looked great together! Good chemistry between the two of them. The way she dressed at the VMA’s, I think I got it figured out. I think she was trying to look like Freddie, that’s why she was looking like a man that night. It was the look she had planned for her performance with Brian.
Many people say that Freddie can’t be replaced, but of course he can. If Alice in Chains can go on successfully without Layne and if AC/DC can go on successfully without Bon Scott, I think Gaga could be successful fronting Queen too. Why not? Besides, Queen was never considered a hard rock/metal act anyway. Queen has always been a pop/rock band, which fits Lady Gaga perfectly.
Before Gaga’s fame, she sang for local cover bands, so I’m sure she could sing all the Queen songs just fine. Plus, I’m pretty sure Freddie would dig it if Gaga sang for Queen.
I think it’s a cool idea and hope it happens. I love Lady Gaga. Always had. I’m not into today’s pop music that much, but I am a fan of Gaga.
Sacha Baron Cohen has always been known for shocking and controversial humor in his flicks. Will he have that again for his next, “Freddie Mercury” movie? I don’t know. I think the “Freddie Mercury” biopic will be more on the serious side then humor. Maybe that’s why Sacha signed on to the role? He wanted to do something new and different besides comedy. There will obviously be some humor in this biopic film since Freddie was a very weird and humorous guy, but there won’t be any of that shock factor that Sacha is known for. Freddie was known for his shock factor live performances with Queen, I think that’s why the film makers wanted him.
This will give Sacha an opportunity to really show his acting talent other than the comedy genre. I’m seeing this movie to be very emotional and sad. Can you see Sacha giving a powerful performance for Freddie’s death scene?Before Freddie’s death, on his last days, he wanted to help the world with AIDS awareness, I can see the film concentrating on that. The funeral will be interesting, Elton John and David Bowie may have to make cameos ’cause they were there at Freddie’s funeral.
The film will start from the beginning, at his childhood to his death like most biopic films are like that. It might focus on his relationship with Mary Austin, Freddie’s first true love, then it will probably go onto his bi-sexual days. If you watch Freddie Mercury’s older interviews and seen the film, “Borat”, you can see the similarities between both of them.
Sacha is going to nail this performance. I think he will perform Freddie Mercury perfectly. Like I said, I think this film will show a different side of Sacha. It will be nothing like Borat or Bruno at all. I’m sure Sacha will be working closely with Brian May and Freddie’s family members, I’m sure Sacha will work with Mary Austin as well, to learn more about Freddie’s history and personality. I’m glad Sacha got this opportunity. Here’s hoping for an Oscar award for Best Actor.
Sacha Baron Cohen has officially signed himself a role to star as Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of legendary rock band, Queen, for the upcoming, “Freddie Mercury”, biopic. Sacha has been well known to playing homosexual characters such as Borat and Bruno, Sacha will play a gay character once again. See this article at, Deadline.
I wonder why Sacha, is always interested in playing gay characters in films. I don’t think he’s gay in real life ’cause he’s been with Isla Fisher for many years, married to her too. Never know, maybe Sacha is a closeted bi-sexual. Freddy Mercury wasn’t just gay, he liked women too.
This is really great casting. I always thought Sacha was almost identical looking to, Freddie. The question is will Sacha be able to sing like him? I’m sure he’ll get voice coaching to prepare for the role. Sacha does sing though. I smell Oscar award for Sacha for this role? Hopefully???
Probably the best thing the Muppets has ever done in a long time. I LOVED THIS! 🙂
Although, Paul Rodgers parted ways with Queen, it is no surprise to me that the band is going to keep going and look for a replacement singer. It seems that they have already found someone. Adam Lambert, the American Idol loser. Adam performed “We Are the Champions” with Queen along with Kris Allen on the Idol finale. Brian May seems to be impressed with Adam as well and already asked him to join the band. It seems that Adam is definitely game in joining up.
More on it here:
I never watched this season’s Idol, but after seeing Adam perform for the first time in my eyes, Adam is actually not that bad. Almost sounding close to Freddie Mercury, so I can see why Brian would want him.
I’m no Idol fan anymore, but this is a phenonemal performance. I love it!
Would I want an Idol star fronting one of the biggest rock bands in the world? I’m sure the die hard Queen fans are hating on this idea, but I’d say go for it. Give a young star an opportunity instead of all these old has beens!!!